Friday, January 30, 2009

Winter Yuck! The Adventures of the Ice/Snow Storm in KY.

I detest winter!! This week has only solidified my thoughts of loathing the cold. I never dreamed that I would one day wake up hoping to not see my school on the bottom of the screen saying that school was cancelled for the day. Well the day has come. I am attempting to do my National Boards which is a complicated enough process without snow days involved. I have nothing to write about when I can't teach. I worry about my students...many of them are on free lunch so they don't get many warm meals at home. Are they staying warm? Do they have power? I pray that their families are taking care of them by at least going to the shelters. I understand now why people have seasonal depression. The world seems so gray on snowy days and dull. I have tried to continue being a good neighbor through it all. We lost power early Wednesday morning. Since we didn't have anything better to do Stad and I scraped the snow and ice off the driveway and our neighbors across the street came and helped us out. We haven't been very neighborly since we moved in (mainly because I am an introverted homebody), so I finally got to talk to many of our neighbors. Later we braved the roads (man they were scary) and went to the store. I always laugh when I see the people on TV with a loaf of bread and milk, but now I understand why. Sandwiches are the only thing to eat (besides junk) when there is not power to heat even soup. Later that day we were feeling like we needed to pay the good deed of driveway scraping forward so we went and shoveled the driveway of a coworker of Stad's who was home alone with a 7 year old and no power as well. My shoulders still hurt two days later, but I really feel like we did a good thing that day. The power did come back on late Wednesday night after a game of rummy, another cold sandwhich, and a great night of conversation with my husband. It amazes me how a few months from now it will be 55 degrees outside and I will be wearing pants and a light jacket, but in the 55 degree house we were in three layers of clothes, four layers of blankets, and hats yet we were still cold. Once again it was snowing this morning and the crazy weatherman is now saying more snow on Monday. I stuck inside while Stad is at work. I guess I could have gone with him, but there is not much to do around his office either so I chose to sit in my sweats and stay warm on the couch. I hope everyone is staying warm, especially those still without power. For now I will continue to type on my National Boards and hope for the best in the next few days.

No comments: